A fun & dainty little variety of summer squash with a delicious buttery flavor, this rare Patty Pan squash can be found at your local farmers market. In a recipe adapted from the well-known food blog Love & Lemons, we made a “Patty Pan-Zanella” with our Black Peppercorn Olive Oil and our Sicilian Limoncello Bar Syrup. Perfect as a summer side dish! Recipe by: Taylor MacDougall
Side Dishes, Vegetarian
- 2 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp SOOC Black Peppercorn Olive Oil
- 8 small Pattypan Squash, cut in quarters *Or sub 1 small Summer Squash, sliced halved and in ¼ inch pieces
- ¼ tsp + ¼ tsp SOOC Garlic Medley Sea Salt
- Cracked black pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp Pine Nuts
- 8 oz Grape Tomatoes, halved
- 1 small Cucumber
- 1 small loaf of Ciabatta bread, ripped into 1-inch pieces
- 8 oz Mozzarella pearls, halved
- 3 Tbsp SOOC Sicilian Limoncello Bar Syrup
- ¼ cup Basil leaves, chopped
- In a small bowl, combine the pattypan squash OR yellow squash with 2 Tbsp SOOC Black Peppercorn Olive Oil, ¼ tsp SOOC Garlic Medley Olive Oil, and cracked black pepper to taste. Toss to coat the squash. Heat a grill pan to medium/high heat. Add the squash to the pan and grill for about 4-5 minutes, until grill marks become apparent. Remove from heat.
- Add pine nuts to the hot grill pan, tossing constantly for about 3 minutes, until toasted. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the grilled squash, grape tomatoes, cucumber, pine nuts, mozzarella, and ciabatta bread pieces. Drizzle with the remaining 1 Tbsp SOOC Black Peppercorn Olive Oil, SOOC Sicilian Limoncello Bar Syrup, ¼ tsp SOOC Garlic Medley Sea Salt, and cracked black pepper to taste. Toss together, and garnish with the basil leaves.
- Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving. Enjoy!