Sweet & Spicy Butternut Squash SoupPrint
Submitted by: Kristy Domnanovich of Hoover, AL. Chefs Notes: “This dish was packed with all the right flavors… A perfect balance of spicy and sweet, you won’t know how to stop scooping more into your bowl! Grab some fresh apple cider from your local apple orchard, and make this heavenly soup for the whole family!”
Nut Free, Soup
- 4 lbs Butternut Squash, peeled & cubed
- 4 Tbsp SOOC Red Cayenne Olive Oil
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 3 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 large Onion
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 6 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 cup Apple Cider
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- Toasted, Crusty Bread (optional)
Products used: Red Cayenne Chili Olive Oil
- Peel, remove seeds, and cube butternut squash into approximately 1 inch pieces.
- Place butternut squash on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter and mix in 3 tablespoons Red Cayenne Olive Oil and 3 tablespoons brown sugar. Pour olive oil mixture over the butternut squash and coat evenly.
- Bake in a 400°F oven for approximately 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes, until the squash is soft and beginning to caramelize.
- While squash is baking, saute chopped onion, minced garlic, 1 tablespoon Red Cayenne Olive Oil, and 1 tablespoon butter in a large pot until the onion is soft.
- Transfer butternut squash to the pot with the onion mixture. Add chicken broth and apple cider.
- Use an immersion blender or transfer to a standard blender and blend until smooth. Add cinnamon and heavy cream.
- Simmer on low for 10 minutes. Serve with toasted, crusty bread (optional). Enjoy!