Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs ChowderPrint
The Saratoga Olive Oil Co. chowder recipe for Chowderfest 2019! Meatballs, like the weather, are not always predictable. Saratoga Olive Co. forecasts a cloudy blend of grass-fed beef and lean pork with occasional splashes of Neapolitan Herb Balsamic Vinegarand Herbes de Provence Olive Oil. To finish, a sprinkle of French Citrus Fennel Sea Salt rounds out the amazing flavors. We predict an herbaceous chowder with a chance of occasional flavor overload! (Fellow chowderheads – meat ball recipe NOT included.)
Meat and Seafood, Nut Free, Soup
All Year, Fall, Winter
1 hour 30-45 minutes
- 2 cups cut young Potatoes (skin on)
- 8 cups premium Chicken Stock
- ¼ cup (4 Tbsp) SOOC Herbes de Provence Olive Oil
- 2 cups cut Shallots
- 1½ cups cut Fennel
- ½ cup Flour
- 6-8 cups sliced Mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp SOOC Neapolitan Herb Balsamic Vinegar
- ½ tsp SOOC French Citrus Fennel Sea Salt (or more to taste)
- ½ tsp ground white Pepper
- 1 tsp dried Thyme
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- In a large soup pot, cook the diced potatoes in the chicken stock until tender.
- Strain the potatoes from the stock, and reserve both the potatoes and the stock.
- Put SOOC Herbes de Provence Olive Oil in the pot, add the onions, diced fennel, and cook until onions are translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté, add SOOC Neapolitan Herb Balsamic Vinegar.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the flour turns golden.
- Add the reserved chicken stock, a little at a time, whisking until the mixture is smooth.
- Stir in the SOOC French Citrus Fennel Sea Salt, pepper, and thyme, and let the chowder simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, cream, and bring the chowder back to a simmer.
- Ladle the chowder over meatball, finish with spoon of Tornado Vinaigrette (see instructions below).
- Finish with a light sprinkle of SOOC French Citrus Fennel Salt.
- Cover and refrigerate any leftover chowder for up to 3 days.
- (Optional) Neapolitan Herbes de Provence Tornado Vinaigrette:
- Mix a ¼ cup each of Herbes de Provence Olive Oil and Neapolitan Herb Balsamic Vinegar. Add 1.5 tsp of Tuscan Herb Seasoning, 1 Tbsp of parmesan cheese, and French Citrus Fennel Salt to taste. Shake vigorously until emulsified.