Rosato Porto-cado SandwichPrint
From the kitchen of Steve and Cathy Rosato, the Porto-cado Sandwich is a recipe too good not to share! Steve is the manager of our flagship store, and you’ll find his lovely wife Cathy lending a helping hand during our very busy track season! Make your next Meatless Monday dinner a good one with this flavor-packed, meat-free sandwich! Recipe By: Steve and Cathy Rosato
Grilled, Main Dishes, Nut Free, Vegetarian
- 4 Portobello Mushrooms, stems removed
- ¼ cup SOOC Neapolitan Herb Balsamic
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- ¼ tsp Garlic Powder
- ¼ tsp SOOC Saratoga Steak Rub
- Cracked Black Pepper, to taste
- 3 Tbsp SOOC Medium Extra Virgin Olive Oil, like Spanish Melgarejo Hojiblanca or Portugese Cobrancosa
- 2 cups fresh Spinach
- 1 small clove of Garlic, sliced thin
- ¼ cup Feta cheese
- 2 Onion rolls, sliced in half
- 2 Avocados, sliced thin
- In a small bowl, whisk together the SOOC Neapolitan Herb Balsamic, honey, soy sauce, garlic powder, SOOC Saratoga Steak Rub, and cracked black pepper to taste. Add the portabello mushrooms to a large ziplock bag, and pour the balsamic mixture over the mushrooms. Let the mushrooms marinate in the fridge for about an hour.
- In a pan over medium heat, add the SOOC Medium Extra Virgin Olive Oil, spinach, and garlic. Saute about 5 minutes, until the spinach wilts and the garlic becomes fragrant. Add in the feta cheese and stir constantly until it melts, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- On a grill over medium-high heat, add the marinated mushroom and grill for about 5 minutes on each side, or until brown and tender. Toss the cut side of the onion rolls on the grill for about 30 seconds, until they have slight grill marks.
- To assemble the porto-cado sandwich, place the portobello mushroom upside down on the bottom slice of the onion roll. Layer half of an avocado over the mushroom, spread a quarter of the spinach over the avocado, and add the top half of the onion roll.
- For the best results, wrap each sandwich in aluminum foil and let sit for 15 minutes to allow for the flavors to melt together. Pro tip: serve any leftovers for breakfast with a par-fried egg!