Harvest Chicken with Blood Orange and FigPrint
Mediterranean flavors of rich, sweet figs and blood orange are combined with crunchy almonds and a hint of spice. Can be made in a tangine if you have one.
Dairy Free, Main Dishes, Meat and Seafood
- 1 whole Chicken, divided into 8 pieces, or 6 chicken thighs
- ¼ cup SOOC Blood Orange Olive Oil
- 2 sprigs of Rosemary, Thyme, and/or Lavender
- 2 cups Black Mission Dried Figs
- ¾ cup SOOC Fig Balsamic Vinegar
- 4 whole Shallots, divided into bulbs, bulbs cut in half
- 2 Celery Stalks, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 4 Tbsp SOOC Mild Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- SOOC Sicilian Sea Salt
- ½ cup flour
- 1¼ cup Chicken Stock or Broth
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 2 tsp Chili Powder
- ½ cup whole Almonds
- SOOC Blood Orange Olive Oil, to finish
- In a sealable plastic bag, marinate the chicken with the Blood Orange Olive Oil and 1 sprig herbs for 1 hour at room temperature. Meanwhile, soak the figs in the Fig Balsamic and prepare shallots and celery.
- Prepare a heavy bottomed skillet on medium heat. Place flour in a shallow dish. Lightly dry the chicken with a paper towel and season with Sicilian Sea Salt. Dredge in flour immediately before putting in the pan. Sear on all sides until golden. Do not overcrowd pan; each batch should start with a clean pan and new Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Remove chicken and set aside. Reserve pan for next step.
- Add in 1 Tbsp of fresh Extra Virgin Olive Oil, cook the shallots and celery until golden. Return the chicken to the pan; pour the figs and Fig Balsamic around the chicken. Bring to a simmer, cook 2 minutes; add in the stock and remaining herb sprigs. Bring to a boil, reduce immediately to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes, covered at very low temperature.
- When the chicken is cooked through, place on serving dish and keep warm. Skim any fat off the surface of the sauce. Bring to a boil and stir in the chili powder, almonds, and honey; adjust seasoning as needed. Pour the sauce over the chicken, finish with a light drizzle of Blood Orange Olive Oil and serve!