Pumpkin Seed Pesto PanzanellaPrint
After a visit to Saratoga’s farmer’s market, this is the perfect September lunch or light dinner.
Main Dishes, Nut Free, Vegetarian
- 1 Delicata Squash or Sweet Potato Squash, cut into ¼” rounds, seeds removed
- 2 medium Carrots, cut into ½"
- ¾ cup Mushrooms: shitake tops, cremini or oyster, cut in half
- 2 cups Arugula
- 1 ½ cup Bread, cubed, day old or toasted in a 325°F oven
- SOOC Butter Olive Oil, for drizzling
- SOOC Sicilian Sea Salt
- Parmigiano Reggiano, for finishing
- 4 Tbsp SOOC Red Apple Balsamic Vinegar
- ½ cup Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 Tbsp fresh Oregano leaves
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 tsp SOOC Sicilian Sea Salt
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 cup SOOC Butternut Squash Seed Oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. On a baking tray, lay out the squash, drizzle with Butter Olive Oil, and season with Sicilian Sea Salt. Bake until tender, about 25 minutes. In the meantime, prepare a small pot of boiling, well salted water and blanch the carrots until desired consistency, about 3 minutes. Remove to an ice bath and then transfer to a bowl.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of Butter Olive Oil in sauté pan with a garlic clove and thyme sprig. Sauté the mushrooms until golden, flipping once. Season lightly with Sicilian Sea Salt. Transfer to a paper towel and then add to the bowl with the carrots.
- Prepare the pesto: In a food processor, process the pumpkin seeds, garlic clove, oregano, Sicilian Sea Salt, and cheese until coarse; transfer to a bowl. Whisk in the Red Apple Balsamic and Butternut Squash Seed Oil.
- Add the squash, bread cubes, and arugula to the bowl; use the liquid part of the pesto to dress the salad. Plate the panzanella and dab the pumpkin seed part of the pesto in small bits over the top of the dish, then finish with shaved Parmigiano Reggiano and a drizzle of Red Apple Balsamic. Enjoy!